Wednesday, 8 February 2012

Number Four - Chorizo, Butter Beans & Popeye

Evening / Morning Folks,

Right now I'm sitting watching 'Moulin Rouge' for the first time, with a casual bottle of Bollinger, a very kind housewarming present from my other half's Mum (who, on another note, is an excellent cook and teacher!), so thanks to her! I have already planned my 22nd birthday party, but now I wish I had applied a 'Moulin Rouge' theme. Maybe next year. I'm really getting into this cooking malarkey. Trying new things is actually working out for me - the pickiest person in Scotland.

So here is my latest trial - Butter Beans with chorizo and spinach. Please take this recipe and run with it. There's so many additions you could make to it!

Chorizo, White Beans & Spinach

This is how mine turned out...looks yummy eh?
Ingredients:

  • 400g tin of beans (Butter beans or Cannellini beans will work, I used Butter Beans)
  • 50g Chorizo sausage
  • 300ml Chicken stock (original recipe said 200ml, but I didn't find this was 'saucy' enough).
  • 1 onion (I only used half an onion, but that's me and my freakish ways getting used to onion).
  • 80g Fresh Spinach (Again, original recipe says to chop this, I didn't).

Method:

  1. Fry the onion in some oil until softened (don't burn it like me!!), then add the chorizo and fry until it starts to give out it's natural oil.
  2. Pour in the chicken stock and simmer for a minute or so. 
  3. Add the beans and cook for 5 - 7 minutes depending on how you like your beans.
  4. Add the spinach and stir, cook until the spinach is wilted. 
  5. Serve in bowls. 
We served it with Ciabatta bread on the side and balsamic vinegar / olive oil. It doesn't look like a big dish, but it does fill you up. This dish is also two of your  five-a-day, I believe. As you will know, through my past posts, I'm a bit of a salad dodger, so this is a perfect way for me to get my veg etc. I genuinely really enjoyed this dish, and to be honest I'm quite proud of it. So easy to make, so quick, and very very few calories. And extremely tasty.

I hope you like this, any tips or criticism welcome :o)

Here's a cheeky video from Moulin Rouge...Ewan McGregor...Scottish hero!

This film is giving me shivers!!!!

Smutch x

1 comment: