Wednesday, 8 February 2012

Number Five - Soup glorious (spicy) Soup

Two words. Sweet. Potato.

I can't understand why people aren't grabbing Sweet Potatoes off the shelves quicker. 'Yams' - as our American friends call them - are an amazing nutrient source, and much better for you than the bog standard potato. If you haven't ever tasted Sweet Potato soup then more fool you. You're missing out. EDIT:  I've been kindly informed that actually, they aren't the same thing, Yams are sweeter and have a 'higher moisture content'. Well they're still pretty similar in my book! Long live the Sweet Potato!

The first time I tried this delicious vegetable in a soup was when one of my closest friends, Jen, made a Sweet Potato and coconut cream soup. The second time was when my other half's Mum made the infamous Jamie Oliver's 'Sweet Potato and Chorizo Soup'. I'm a self confessed hater of normal soups, for example Leek and Potato. Yeuch. Boring. So I had to give this recipe a bash. It's a very filling soup, and could probably used as a filling snack or in my case main course. Here you go:

Yum Yum. My version...


Ingredients:
  • 2 x onions
  • 2 cloves of peeled / finely sliced garlic (I feel this really depends on your personal tastes, don't reduce this, but add if you so wish!).
  • 2 x carrots (peeled and sliced)
  • 2 x celery sticks (sliced)
  • 800g Sweet Potato (peeled and chopped)
  • 200g Chorizo Sausage (a friend told me you're better to get this from the deli counter, rather than the vacuumed pack stuff...)
  • Fresh parsley (just a wee bunch)
  • 1 x heaped teaspoon of curry powder (essential).
  • 2 x chicken stock cubes
  • 1 x fresh red chili (also essential!).
MAKE SOUP: 
  1. Slice the Chorizo and chop the Parsley.
  2. Heat up a soup pan with Olive Oil, and add the curry powder and all the chopped ingredients (carrots, celery, onions, garlic, sweet potatoes, chorizo, parsley). Stir together.
  3. Cook for 10 minutes with the lid askew until the onions are golden and carrots a bit softer. I panicked a bit at this stage, thinking "aaaargh it's smoking". This would be the amateur in me. Don't panic.
  4. Add 1.8L of water to the stock and then pour it into the veg. 
  5. Stir the soup and bring to the boil.
  6. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. 
  7. Season and blend. 
Once blended I added chopped chili. Don't then touch your mouth, lips, ears....ANYTHING, until you've washed your hands. This might seem like common sense to 99.9% of people. However I'm slightly silly.

This is my favourite soup in the World. I'd actually probably prefer it with a little bit of coconut milk / cream over the top. What a hangover saviour!

Smutch x

P.S - My new favourite singer. It's been a while since I got excited about an album. I'm very passionate about music, and I thought I should share. Forget the controversy surrounding this Woman (she allegedly has botox and renamed herself - big WOOP?! Lady Gaga anyone?!), she is an incredible singer...and isn't that all that matters?!! Ladies and Gents, I present....Lana Del Rey... 

2 comments:

  1. I love chorizo ! I must admit, I'm not that good at making soup but sweet potato and chorizo sounds tasty x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,

    We've recently launched the site Alldishes.co.uk where users can search through tens of thousands of recipes from UK and Irish food sites and food blogs.

    We noticed that you have a great number of tasty recipes on your blog and would like to suggest you have a look at our Top Food Blogs section here: http://www.alldishes.co.uk/top-food-blogs

    If you want to add your food blog to the list and have your recipes indexed on Alldishes.co.uk, all you have to do is follow the instructions here: http://www.alldishes.co.uk/add-your-food-blog

    Our concept is already live in Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Spain, and we deliver thousands of visitors to food blogs daily. Some of the top food blogs receive 20,000+ visitors from us on a weekly basis. You can also find us on Facebook by following the link below: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alldishescouk/228445677248636

    Hopefully your food blog will be up there in the top!

    Warm regards,
    Senka
    RecipesUS.com, Hittarecept.se, Findeopskrifter.dk, Alleoppskrifter.no, Todareceta.es

    ReplyDelete