Saturday, 21 January 2012

Number Two- 'Heartwarming Boeuf Bourguignon'

Boeuf Bourguignon.
 (photo from http://www.kitchendaily.com/global-cook/)
NOTE: This is a very easy recipe to follow (coming from someone who struggles to cut an apple), and can be changed to each persons tastes. Enjoy!

One of my first favorites.

I was a very picky kid. Hated beef, hated veg, hated cheese, wouldn't eat eggs, wouldn't really eat much. However, one day, I must've been around 12, my Mum made Boeuf Bourguignon .

If this gorgeous dish is made right...words cannot describe how beautiful it is. It is not for the 'calorie conscious' of you, but you must at least try a mouthful. I'm all for being healthy etc, but you have not lived until you have tried this recipe.

The inspiration for starting my blog was a film called 'Julie & Julia', this is a fantastic film that made me, the least inspired cook in the World, to want to cook, cook, cook, cook, cook. I have been following blogs for a wee while, but only one of them is actually a cooking blog. Her name is Laura, and she is substantially more advanced than me. I believe the film was also her inspiration to start a blog.You can find her here - http://foodpug.blogspot.com/


Right, so back to the dish. You have to remember that up until this point, I had never browned meat, or chopped garlic or anything similar. I am a total newbie! I was given the Lorraine Pascale cookbook for Christmas from my parents, I would advise anyone to invest, it's very easy to follow but some of her recipes are really inventive.

Lorraine Pascale's
Heart-warming Boeuf Bourguignon
(I don't know how the copyrights work on this thing, so going to put my own spin on it).
  • Season and add 250g of large chunks of braising steak to a pan and brown. 
  • Tip into a casserole dish and brown the other 750g in 250g portions too.
  • If the pan starts getting a bit burnt, add some red wine. Lorraine recommends Burgandy, but my Mum says any decent red will do.
  • Put 100g of lardons into a pan and brown, then add to the meat in the casserole dish. Repeat with the other 100g.
  • Sprinkle a handful of plain flour over the beef / lardons, and season with some salt and pepper (I put too much salt in, so be careful!). Stir until the flour has disappeared.
  • Add 2 sprigs of rosemary, 2 sprigs of Thyme and a clove of garlic ground to a paste / finely chopped.
  • Add just enough red wine (Lorraine recommends Burgandy), and Marsala or stock to cover ALL of the meat (my wine & marsala didn't cover the meat and it became dry).
  • Cover the caserole dish and cook in a pre-heated oven for 2.5 hours at 150 deg.C.
  • Fry the shallots until they are golden brown, add the carrot and cook for a minute then put them both aside. 
  • After the casserole has cooked for 2.5 hours, take it out of the oven, add the shallots, carrots and a large handful of dried porcini mushrooms (not totally necessary, as they aren't cheap!), then put the casserole back in the oven for 30 minutes. 
This should give you a gorgeous Boeuf Bourguignon, however to make it perfectly, follow Julia Child's recipe. She really is amazing! Find the full recipe here. Thanks to some advanced bloggers, way ahead of the game!

Anyway, I really enjoyed making this. As a newbie, the most difficult thing for me in this recipe was chopping garlic. And working out just when the beef was browned. Trial and error is a very important factor in this recipe. For me, Lorraine uses too much salt, and I would put in a lot more red wine, but that may be the lush in me!

Enjoy!

Smutch x

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure once you get into the swing of cooking you will love and enjoy it ! Cooking is very therapeutic ! Is the Lorraine Pascale recipe from her Home cooking made easy book? If so, I must say I prefer Baking made easy, an invaluable book for all beginners x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have baking made easy! My birthday is coming up though...so might have to drop a few hints :) x

      Delete
  2. Baking made easy is the book for beginner bakers ! x

    ReplyDelete